Google Apps fans, today weâre ready to add you to our circles. Google+ makes sharing on the web more like sharing in the real world, and now Google+ is available to people who use Google Apps at college, at work or at home.
Starting now you can manually turn on Google+ for your organization. Once Google+ is turned on, your users will just need to sign up at google.com/+ to get started. For customers who use Google Apps for Business or the free version of Google Apps and who have chosen to automatically enable new services, Google+ will automatically become available to all of your users over the next several days.*
Google Apps users will have access to the same set of features that are available to every Google+ user, and more. In addition to sharing publicly or with your circles, youâll also have the option to share with everyone in your organization, even if you havenât added all of those people to a circle.
Google+ at home, at work and at college
You use Google Apps in lots of different ways, and we expect the same for Google+. Apps users from artists to doctors to parents to students to teachers have told us that they are ready to join the 40 million people already sharing on Google+.
Circles is a great way to share relevant content with the right people. With Circles, your photography crew doesnât have to get an update about your morning workout, your triathlon team doesnât have to see all your thoughts on the latest camera gear, and your project teams can be kept separate from all of this.
Hangouts with extras, which combines multi-person video chat with screen sharing and collaboration in Google Docs, lets you work together on projects even when your team can't be in the same room. Whether youâre out of town, working on a project with a distributed group, or just donât feel like walking to the next building for your meeting, Hangouts with extras can give your team the productivity boost it needs.
Google+ coming to a campus near you
Many students and teachers have sent us their ideas about how they can use Google+ to teach, learn, work, and play. These are a few Google Apps for Education universities from around the world that are bringing Google+ to their campuses today:
- Abilene Christian University
- American University in Cairo (Egypt)
- Arizona State University
- AT Still University
- Boise State University
- Central Piedmont Community College
- Dublin City University (Ireland)
- ESSEC Business School (France)
- Leeds Metropolitan University (United Kingdom)
- Loughborough University (United Kingdom)
- Saint Louis University
- Strathmore University (Kenya)
- Universidad Panamericana (Mexico)
- University of Ferrara (Italy)
- University of Maryland Baltimore County
- University of Minnesota
- University of Notre Dame
- University of Pavia (Italy)
- University of Portsmouth (United Kingdom)
- University of Washington
- Vanderbilt University
- Wake Forest University
Just the beginning
For those of you whoâve already started using Google+ with a personal Google Account and would prefer to use your Google Apps account, weâre building a migration tool to help you move over. With this tool, you wonât have to rebuild your circles, and people whoâve already added you to their circles will automatically be connected to your new profile. We expect this migration option to be ready in a few weeks, so if youâd like, you can go ahead and get started with your Apps account today and merge your connections once the tool is available.
It took more technical work than we expected to bring Google+ to Google Apps, and we thank you for your patience. This integration is just the beginning. Weâll continue to add features and improve the way that Google+ works with Google Apps, and we encourage you to share your ideas.
* Google+ requires Picasa Web Albums for photo sharing and Google Talk for chat, so if these services are not enabled then Google+ will not automatically become available, even if your domain has chosen to automatically enable new services. The option to automatically enable new services is controlled in the Domain settings tab of the administrator control panel. More information about using Google+ with Google Apps is available in the Help Center.
Update: For Google Apps for Education customers, we're starting with higher ed institutions and are looking into making Google+ available to K-12s at some point in the future.